Sunday, March 4, 2012

Musher Profile: Braxton Peterson

I have to tell you about one of the mushers we met today. 


#63 - Braxton Peterson

Braxton Peterson, 25, was born in Bermuda.  His family moved to Alaska when he was a little kid.  He has worked in Lance Mackey's kennel for about ten years, and this year is taking some of Lance's dogs on the trail.

But that's not is only claim to fame.

He's also a rapper.


L.M. - for Lance Mackey - notice the Lance Mackey bling?

A mushing rapper.... yep - he writes raps about mushing!


M - for Musherz  - the name of the rap group

There was a big article in the Alaska Daily News about him. Here are some of his lyrics:

"Coming in the checkpoint, set the hook all eyes on me
When I'm in the checkpoint, proficiency is key
Up and down the gangline, I never waste a move
So I'm taking off the booties, laying straw and starting food.
Now the dogs asleep so it's time for me to go bed
I wake up in an hour and to the next checkpoint I head."

And one more....

"Now I'm twisting, dipping, winding, turning through the trees
Now I got my headlight off because I'm creeping on a team
Full moon reflected off the snow so I can see
He shut his headlight off because I think that he heard ME."

So today during the ceremonial start, Braxton pulled up to the starting line with his dogs, his sled, and his drag sled.  Standing on the drag sled was his buddy, rapping partner, and Lance Mackey's stepson Cain Carter. 

Braxton got the countdown....  "10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5,4, 3, 2, 1, GO!"


With Cain Colin before the race

And off the dogs took down the chute dragging Braxton and his sled behind them.

And that was it. 

Cain and the drag sled didn't go.

Somehow it came undone and Cain and the drag sled didn't get pulled.

So Cain did what any good friend would do.  He jumped off the back of the sled, ran to the front, picked up the rope and ran off down the chute after the dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment